I’ve been on a salad kick here lately. I think it’s these summer temps that make them so enticing right now.
But this is a salad that can’t really decide whether it is a chicken salad, a pasta salad, or cole slaw, because it is a combination of all 3!
I started with cooked chicken, then added pasta, cole slaw mix and apples.
The dressing is mayo with white balsamic vinegar. The balsamic doesn’t have to be white, but if you use anything darker, the whole salad takes on a muddy look. My favorite vinegar to use for this salad is a red apple infused balsamic that I get at Artisano’s in Indianapolis. But I guess if you’re serving it in public, go with the white.
With sweet crunchy apples and cabbage, chewy pasta and chicken, and creamy/tangy dressing, this salad truly is a rainbow of textures, flavors and colors!
- 1½ cups mayonnaise
- ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar (or other vinegar of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 4 cups cooked chicken, shredded into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups cole slaw mix
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, diced
- 1 small Jonathon apple (or other red apple), diced
- 1½ cups cooked pasta (rotini, penne, etc)
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- For the dressing, whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar and poppy seeds in a small bowl. Set aside. In a large bowl, place chicken, slaw mix, apples and pasta. Stir to combine. Pour dressing over chicken mixture and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to blend. Just before serving, top with toasted almond slices.
© 2012 Sherry Klinedinst
All rights reserved. Repost with permission only.